Pure tone audiometry only tell us about auditory status where speech audiometry provides information about ability to hear and understand speech, comfort and discomfort levels.
- Normal hearing with difficulty in speech understanding
- Hearing loss with difficulty in speech understanding
- To assess auditory deprivation
- To assess auditory tolerance
- Prior hearing aid fitting (Prognostic tool)
- SAT (Speech Awareness Threshold) / SDT (Speech Detection Threshold)
It is a minimum level in dB at which listener is aware of speech
- SRT (Speech Reception Threshold)
It is the level on which listener identifies correctly 50% of the Spondee words presented.
- SDS (Speech Discrimination Score) / WRS (Word Recognition Score)
It is the percentage score which listener correctly repeats from PB words presented
- MCL (Most Comfortable Loudness Level)
It is the hearing level at which listener experiences speech to be most comfortable
- UCL (Uncomfortable Loudness Level)
It is the hearing level at which listener experiences speech to be uncomfortably loud.